Thursday, August 7, 2014

Dunrich Babbage Connections



What follows is a reconstruction of a small part of the Dunrich and Babbage families in the West Country of Devon and Cornwall in the 18th century. Of note, the names had not at the point established a standard spelling. You'll find, if you say Dun-rich quickly, that a "D" sound inserts itself between the syllables! I have seen Dunrich, Dundrich and Dundridge on the one part, and Babbage, Babbidge, Bobbidge, Babbich and even Bavage and Bavidge on the other.

A monument in Saints Peter and Paul, Sheviock, Cornwall is recorded by Joseph Polsue, A Complete Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, Vol. IV, p.147 (1872).

       Near this place are deposited the remains of William Dunrich, late of Lescawn
       in this parish, who died February 3, 1794; in the 75 year of his age. Also of
       Elizabeth Dunrich, who died 26 February 1802; aged 83 years.

For each of them a Last Will and Testament is preserved among the records of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1384-1858, which I have viewed through ancestry.com. The legal caligraphy takes some getting used to. I present here my transcripts of each of them in turn. First, the will of William Dunrich (1719-94). I have highlighted the names of William's nephews and nieces, including two Bavage references, which are spelling variants of Babbage. Apart from the phonetic similarity of "B" and "V", I will present some genalogical evidence in a later post.

       In the Name of God Amen I William Dunrich of the Parish of Sheviock in the
       County of Cornwall Yeoman being in Health of Body & of Sound and disposing
       memory (blessed be God) Do this fifth day of June in the year of our Lord one
       thousand seven hundred and ninety two make publish & declare this my last Will
       & Testament in manner following (that is to say) First I give unto my niece Mary
       Pollard Wife of Pascho Pollard of St. Budeaux in the County of Devon Yeoman
       the sum of Sixty pounds of lawful money of Great Britain Also I give and
       bequeath unto my niece Elizabeth Dunrich the sum of Fifty pounds Also I give
       & bequeath unto my other niece Ann Roberts Wife of Abraham Roberts Junr.
       The sum of Fifty pounds Also I give & bequeath unto my nephew Willm Bavage
       the sum of Fifty pounds All which before mentioned Legacies shall be paid
       within Six months after my decease Also I give & bequeath unto such children
       of my nephew John Bavage as may be living at my decease the sum of Twenty
       Pounds to be equally divided amongst them by my executrix when and as she may
       think most proper Also I give and bequeath unto Thomas Littleton Esqr. of Trowen
       in the County of Cornwall our gold Ring Also all the rest & residue of my Goods
       Chattels & Effects whatsoever I give devise & bequeath unto my Beloved Wife
       Elizabeth Dunrich and I make & ordain this my said Wife my sole Executrix of this
       my last Will and Testament In Trust for the intents and purposes beforementioned
       not in the least doubting but that she will fulfill the same In Witness whereof I the
       said William Dunrich have hereunto sett my hand & seal the day and year first
       above written – William Dunrich – Signed Sealed and Delivered by the said
       William Dunrich as and for his last Will and Testament in the presence of us who
       were present at the Signing & sealing/thereof – Henry Rott Spook – William Roberts.

       This Will was proved at London the twenty eighth day of May in the Year of our
       Lord One thousand seven hundred and ninety five before The right Honble. Sir
       William Wynn Knight Doctor of Laws Master Keeper or Commissary of the
       Prerogative Court of Canterbury lawfully constituted by the Oath of Elizabeth
       Dunrich Widow the Relict of the Deceased and Sole Executrix named in the Will
       to whom Administration was granted of all and singular the Goods Chattels and
       Credits of the Deceased having been first Sworn duly to Administer by Commission

 Before I reconstruct the family, from this and other records, here is the will of his widow, Elizabeth Dunrich (1719-1802). Parts of this, I posted previously in relation to William Babbage, Son of a Hatchelor.

       In the Name of God Amen I Elizabeth Dunrich of the Parish of Sheviock in
       the County of Cornwall Widow being in perfect health and of sound mind
       memory and understanding thanks be given to God calling to mind the mortality
       of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die Do make
       and ordain this to be my last Will and Testament in manner and form Following
       (that is to say) Principally and First of all I commend my Soul into the hands of
       of Almighty God that gave it and my body to the Earth to be buried in a decent
       Christian like manner at the Discretion of my Executrixes hereinafter mentioned
       nothing doubting but at the General Resurrection I shall receive the same again
       by the Almighty Power of God and as touching such worldly Estate where with
       it hath pleased God to bless me in this life I give devise and bequeath the same in
       manner Following that is to say First I desire that all my just Debts and Funeral
       expenses may be paid as soon as possible after my death Item I give and bequeath
       to my Cousin Elizabeth Babbage and William Dunrich Babbage Son and Daughter
       of William Babbage late of the town of Plymouth Dock in the parish of Damarell
       in the County of Devon Hatchelor deceased the sum of two hundred and Fifty
       Pounds apiece to each of them of lawful money of Great Britain to be paid at the
       end of Six months next after the day of my Death and in Case either of them shall
       die before me that then and in such case I do give and bequeath to the Survivor of
       them the sum of Five hundred pounds of lawful money of Great Britain to be paid
       to the said Survivor at the End of Six months next after the day of my Death Item
       I give and bequeath to all the children of my Niece Ann Roberts Deceased the Sum
       of Five hundred Pounds of lawful money of Great Britain to be equally Divided
       amongst them share and share alike and I do hereby nominate and appoint Paschoe
       Pollard of the Parish of Saint Budeaux in the County of Devon Gentleman to be
       Guardian and Trustee over them and do will and desire that he will lay out such
       part thereof as he may think proper for the Education livelihood and Maintenance
       of them or either of them until they shall successively attain the age of twenty one
       years old and then to pay the residue and remainder of his or her part and portion
       of the said legacy into his or her own hands and if either of them shall happen to
       die before he or she shall attain to the age of twenty one years then the residue and
       remainder of such Child or Children’s Legacy so dying shall be equally Divided
       amongst the Survivors of them share and share alike Item I give and bequeath to
       my Niece Elizabeth Fisher all my Table China consisting of Eleven blue and white
       China Dishes and Eighteen Plates my Diamond Ring and Earrings and my Silver
       Sauce boats Item I give and bequeath to my Niece Mary Pollard my Silver Coffee
       pot Item I give and bequeath to my Niece Elizabeth Fisher all my Table china
       consisting of Eleven blue and white China Dishes and Eighteen Plates my
       Diamond Ring and Earrings and my Silver Sauce Boats Item I give and bequeath
       to my Niece Mary Pollard my Silver Coffee pot Item I give and bequeath to
       Rosamond Sampson the mother of the above named Elizabeth Babbage and
       William Dunrich Babbage my Brown Chintz Gown black quilted petticote and
       running sprigd Apron Item I give and bequeath to Miss Betty Ellis of the Parish
       of Antony in the County of Cornwall the Sum of Ten Pounds of lawful money of
       Great Britain Item I give and bequeath to Ann Martin Wife of William Martin of
       the said Parish of Sheviock the sum of Two Guineas Item I give and bequeath to
       William Symons my Servant the sum of Five Guineas if he is living with me at the
       time of my Death item I give and bequeath to each and every of my Servants that
       shall be living with me at the time of my Death asuit of Mourning to each and

       every of them Item I give and bequeath to the Poor of the said parish of Sheviock
       the Sum of Five Pounds to be given to them in Bread at the Church on the first
       Five Several Sundays that shall first and next happen after my Death item I give
       and bequeath to Mistress Ann Roberts Wife of the Reverend Doctor Bryan Roberts
       and to her Sister Elizabeth Bennett Wife of the Reverend John Bennett the Sum of
       three Pounds each to buy amourning Ring Item I give and bequeath to my Servant
       John Westrott the Sum of four Guineas Item I give and bequeath to my Servant
       Mary Hoskon the Sum of two Guineas all the rest residue and remainder of my
       Lands Tenements Goods Chattels Ready money and Sureties for money Book
       Debts and personal Estate whatsoever that I may Die possessed of or in any wise
       Entitled unto after payment of my Just Debts and Legacies herein before given
       and bequeathed I do hereby give Devise and bequeath to my said two Nieces
       Mary Pollard and Elizabeth Fisher herein before named therin Executors
       Administrators and assigns to be equally Divided amongst them share and share
       alike and I do hereby Constitute Nominate and appoint the said Mary Pollard and
       Elizabeth Fisher joint Executrixes of this my last Will and Testament and I do
       hereby revoke make void and disannul all and every Former and other Will or
       Wills and Testaments by me at any time heretofore made ratifying and Confirming
       this and no other to be my last Will and Testament In Witness whereof I the said
       Elizabeth Dunrich have to this my last Will and Testament written on two sheets
       of Paper to the First Set my hand and to this last my hand and Seal this Eighteenth
       day of July in the year of Our Lord One thousand Eight hundred and one
       #E: Dunrich Signed Sealed and Published and Declared by the said Testatrix
       Elizabeth Dunrich to be her last Will and Testament who at her request and in her
       presence and in the presence of each other (after the Interlineation of the words
       (to wit) lay out between the twenty third and twenty Fourth Fourth Lines of the
       first Sheet being first made) have subscribed our names as witnesses hereto
       # Richard Serpill #Jane Geard #James Bligh

       This Will was proved at London the Seventh Day of April in the year of Our Lord

       Onethousand Eight hundred and two before the Right Honorable Sir William Wynn
       Knight Doctor of Laws Master Keeper or Commissary of the Prerogative Court of
       Canterbury lawfully constituted by the oaths of Mary Pollard (Wife of Pascho
       Pollard) and Elizabeth Fisher (Wife of Ebenezer Fisher) the Executrixes named in
       the said Will to whom Administration was granted of all and singular the Goods
       Chattels and Credits of the said Deceased having been first sworn by Commission
       Duly to Administer.

I have made highlights in this transcript as well for the sake of comparison with the first.

The Dunrich's named nieces are: Elizabeth Dunrich in 1792, who must have become Elizabeth Fisher by 1801; Mary Pollard (wife of Pascho Pollard); and Ann Roberts, alive in 1792, but deceased by 1801, whose children are entrusted to the guardianship of their uncle Pascho. The Dunrich's named nephews are John Bavage 1792, who is not mentioned in 1801; and Willm Bavage of 1792 who must be the William Babbage Hatchelor deceased of 1801.

These wills are not the only connections between the names of Babbage and Dunrich. England, Select Plymouth and West Devon Marriages, 1538-1912 has John Babidge and Elizabeth Dundridge in married 1757. A bit of rooting around online reveals that this marriage was solemnized in St Budeaux, just to the north of Plymouth. I am especially indebted to Carolyn Mason in New Zealand whose treesandstars website provided the genealogical framework for what follows.

Also connecting Babbage and Dundridge, the following are held at the Devon Record Office:
        3009A-99/PO18/27 1768
               John Babbage apprenticed to John Dundridge of Anthony, Cornwall

        3009A-99/PO18/31 1768
               William Babbage apprenticed to William Dundridge of Sheviock, Cornwall

The first of these is an indenture dated 28 October 1768 by which responsibility for the maintenance of John Babbage is transferred from the Overseers of the Poor of the Parish of Chudleigh, Devon to John Dundridge, who was to train him in "good husbandry work" up to the age of twentyfour years. I have not seen the second of these records, which I suspect is a similar document, but for William Babbage (the future hatchelor) to be apprenticed to William Dundridge of Sheviock. That is, William Dunrich, who mentions his nephews John and William Bavage in his will. It would seem most likely that William Dunrich (Dundridge) of Sheviock, Devon is the brother of John Dundridge of Anthony, Cornwall, and of Elizabeth Dundridge, wife of John Babage who had married in St Budeaux.

The Chudleigh parish records as transcribed by Carol Gertner and Gary Liddell have these baptisms (perhaps William was baptized at St Budeaux):
       2 May 1760 John, son of John and Elizabeth Babbage
       1 Dec 1763 born: 26 Nov 1763 Thomas, son of John and Elizabeth Babbidge
     
The same set of records from Chudleigh parish registers has Elizabeth Babbidge buried 3 June 1765. As to the fate of Thomas, I have no record, but it seems likely that William and John were orphans at this point. In 1768, John Babbage is described on the indenture as a "poor child of the said parish". Treesandstars notes that Elizabeth Babbage was already in receipt of parish relief in 1762, receiving an extra 10s when Thomas was born. One John Babbage of an invalid regiment is buried in St Saviour, Dartmouth on 21 Jun 1763, and he may well be their father.

As to the birth of John Babbage, future husband of Elizabeth Dundridge (if correct, these are my 6x great grandparents), the most likely candidate from Chudleigh parish records and his brothers are:
       15 Mar 1727/8 George son of George and Elizabeth Bobbidge
              Buried 11 Apr 1728  George son of George Bobbidge
        4 Feb 1728/9 George son of George and Elizabeth Bobbidge
        9 Feb 1731/2 John son of George and Elizabeth Bobbidge
       21 Feb 1733/4 Thomas son of George and Elizabeth Babbidge
       24 Sep 1736    James son of George and Elizabeth Babbidge
      
Looking or Elizabeth Dunrich and her brothers, we find the following are baptized at Buckland Monachorum, Devon according to England, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975:
       William    17 Mar 1722 son of Robert and Margaret Dunrich
       Robert      11 Apr 1725 son of Robert and Margeret Dunrich
              Buried 11 Dec 1726
       John          5 Jun 1727 son of Robert and Margaret Dunrich
       Elizabeth 20 Sep 1730 son of Robert and Margaret Dunrich

If we are correct, each of these Dunrich children moved away from Buckland Monachorum: William to Sheviock, Cornwall; John to Antony, Cornwall; and Elizabeth to Chudleigh, Devon. George and Elizabeth Babbidge/Bobbidge, and Robert and Margaret Dunrich are my 7x great grandparents.

There are still questions about all this. Can we be sure that Bavage and Babbage are the same? What of the "cousins" in Elizabeth will? The next post will examine the data for the nephews and nieces of William and Elizabeth Dunrich of Sheviock, Cornwall, and hopefully answer questions like these.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Stuart
    My husband's ancestor was John Babbage born 1760 Chudleigh. He was brought up by his uncle, John Dunrich after his mother died in 1765. Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela
      Greetings to you and your husband! And thanks for reading the blog and leaving a message. If you have any genealogical questions, I am happy to help you, although at this point I have little else on the early Babbages and Dunriches than what I have written in this series of blog posts. My email is stuarttilleygen@gmail.com
      Alan

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hatchelor is an occupation used in ropery. There is a good website which explains the various trades see http://www.the-ropewalk.co.uk/objects_in_the_store_room.pdf
    I have researched the Babbages to Bavidges and the name seems to have changed about 1819.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that John's descendants went from Babbage to Bavidge and Bavage. Do you know of any family tradition connected with the name change?
      Also, great link to a picture of a hatchel. It was Elizabeth Dundrich's description in her will of William Babbage as a hatchelor which was the link to William Babbage, my 4xgreat grandfather, whose 2nd marriage in London gave his father's occupation as Ropemaker. Alan

      Delete
  4. Hi Alan
    If you give me your email address I could tell you what I know. Angela

    ReplyDelete